Heather A. Sakely, PharmD, BCPS, has been named a 2013 recipient of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Research and Education Foundation’s New Investigator Research Grant. Sakely is director of both the PGY2 geriatric pharmacy residency program and of geriatric pharmacotherapy at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) St. Margaret in Pittsburgh, Pa.  Sakely completed her pharmacy residency in the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy – UPMC St. Margaret Pharmacy Residency Program. Sakely is one of only two pharmacist investigators in the country to receive a New Investigator Research Grant in 2013.

Receiving the ASHP Foundation New Investigator Research Grant has been a springboard for me, as a clinician-teacher, to take my practice and teaching to a higher level through support of my research,  Sakely said. I am able to provide direct patient care and impact the lives of the patients and families I see, teach future pharmacists and physicians how to care for older adults, as well as contribute to the body of evidence to move practice forward through research and publication. Through this three-pronged approach, I am able to combine my passion for patient care, teaching and research in order to make a comprehensive contribution to health care.

Information about the New Investigator Research Grant Program and the abstracts of the research studies funded by this year’s program can be found at www.ashpfoundation.org/newinvestigator.