AUGUST 2013 GRADUATION DEADLINES AND REQUIREMENTS
You Are Responsible For Reading The Following Information Regarding Graduation. Not following the requirements listed below could jeopardize your graduation.
I. APPLICATION FOR GRADUATION: Any student who plans to complete degree requirements in the Fall Term must fill out an application for graduation by September 13, 2013. Students applying after this date, are required to submit a late fee of $25 (checks or cash) with the application. Applications will be accepted until December 2, 2013 with a varying late fee. Students who applied for graduation in a prior term must reapply for the current term. Only the student’s legal name may be used on the application (documentation supporting name changes must accompany the application).
II. REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS: Students must be registered for one credit or, if needed, Full Time Dissertation Study (FTDS) in the term in which they graduate.
III. INCOMPLETE GRADES: All I and/or G grades including those not relevant to the degree program must be changed before the degree can be posted. Change of Grade cards must be sent by the instructor or departmental administrator to 5141 Sennott Sq., or the department must state in writing that the incomplete course(s) are not required for the degree.
IV. E-MAIL NOTIFICATION: E-mail Lori Schmotzer, firstname.lastname@example.org, Defense Title, Date Defending, Location, and Time of Defense.
V. CANDIDATES FOR THE PH.D. DEGREE-ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION (Please refer to the templates on line at http://www.pitt.edu/~graduate/etd/templates.html) All candidates for the Ph.D. degree must submit the following to the Student Services Office, 904 Salk Hall by NOON on December 4, 2013.
a) ETD approval form signed by all committee members (electronic signatures are not allowed) http://www.pitt.edu/~graduate/etd/pdf/ETD_Approval_Form.pdf
b) Dissertation Defense (PH.D.) Report signed by all committee members.
c) Uploaded file to ETD submission page, formatted correctly with all appropriate bookmarks and hyperlinks.
d) Three copies of the abstract with the adviser’s COMPLETE NAME TYPED and the ADVISOR’S INITIALS (electronic initials are not allowed) in the upper right hand corner of each one. Abstract must be double spaced with title and student’s name at the top of the first page (see template, 350 word limit).
e) Two copies of the title page.
f) Copy of Online Survey of Earned Doctorate (please see attached directions)
g) PROQUEST/UMI Publishing Agreement (please see attached directions)
h) Receipt for processing and microfiche; (pay $85 in the Student Payment Center in G‑7 Thackeray Hall). If any additional services are desired from Proquest, i.e., copyright, extra copies, reprints, attach a MONEY ORDER OR CERTIFIED CHECK made payable to Proquest (no cash or personal checks will be accepted).
VI. DIPLOMAS AND OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: Complimentary copies are expected to be mailed the week of February 3, 2014 to the address on your application for graduation. The Registrar has two address databases, graduation and People Soft. If a change is needed after submission of the graduation application, you must make certain you update it in both areas of the Registrar.
Students, please make sure you are submitting ALL required documents correctly and in the proper format.
REQUIRED GRADUATION MATERIALS
Checklist for PhD Applicants
- ETD approval form (double sided) with signatures of all committee members. If you have co-chairs – they must both sign in all the places for the chair.
- -ELECTRONIC SIGNATURES ARE NOT ALLOWED
- Uploaded file to ETD submission page:
- Instructions for ETDs can be found at the following website:
-at a minimum there must be bookmarks for the following pages in the following order:
- § Title page
- § Abstract
- § Table of contents
- § List of tables (if there are tables)
- § List of figures (if there are figures)
- § List of schemes (if there are schemes)
- § List of equations (if there are equations)
- § Each chapter
- § Each appendix
- § Bibliography
-email Lori Schmotzer after upload is complete at email@example.com- YOU CAN UPLOAD A DRAFT OF YOUR ETD AT ANY TIME
- 3 copies of abstract:
-abstract must be double spaced (350 word limit – NO EXCEPTIONS)
*if the abstract is more than one page, it CANNOT be double sided
-top of the page must be as follows:
- § Title
- § Student Name, PhD
- § University of Pittsburgh, 2xxx (see template)
-advisor’s complete name must be TYPED IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER- if there are co-chairs both names must be typed
-advisor MUST SIGN THEIR INITIALS next to their name on ALL copies-if there are co-chairs they must both initial the abstracts – initials must be original from the chair(s) and not faxed or copied
- 2 copies of the title page
- A&S Survey
- Survey of Earned Doctorate
- Proquest/UMI Publishing Agreement
- Receipt for ETD Processing:
-pay $85.00 in the Student Payment Center in G-7 Thackeray Hall – if you are not local you can call the student payment center at 412-624-7520 and ask them to assess the fee and then you can pay it on-line.
Directionns for the Online Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED)
All students must complete the Online Survey of Earned Doctorates. The Survey can be found at the following address:
Please follow the directions below to complete the survey.
- At the survey registration website, you will be asked to provide your, institution, graduation month and year, and an e-mail address. Currently, the only option for “School/College” is Graduate School.
- Shortly after filling out the registration page (typically within seconds), you will receive an email with the URL to the actual survey, and a unique PIN and Password. You can suspend the survey before he/she completes it without losing their previous responses and can return to it at a later time by using the PIN and Password.
- E-mail confirmation. There is a space provided at the end of the survey for you to enter in two email addresses. Enter your e-mail address and Lori Schmotzer’s, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please contact Lori Schmotzer at email@example.com If you have general questions about the survey, please contact NORC who administers the survey at 1-800-248-8649 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements to complete the SED
Recording our doctorate degrees nationally is very important. Regulations Governing Graduate Studies states: “Prior to the end of the term in which they are graduated, all doctoral candidates must submit to the office of the dean a completed Survey of Earned Doctorates Awarded in the United States; see http://www.pitt.edu/~graduate/reggeneral.html#gradapp. In the online implementation of the SED, the following demographic data fields are required: name, institution, graduation month and year, and doctoral degree type. Note that this information will eventually appear publically when the ETD is published. The completion of these fields will satisfy the university-wide graduation requirement. As stated in the SED, responses to the survey questions are voluntary and students will not be adversely affected if they do not choose to answer. The online survey is administered independently, and schools will not have immediate access to their students’ responses. Please encourage your students to complete the survey, as student responses will enhance Pitt’s national reputation
Instructions for the UMI Publishing Agreement
All students must fill out the ProQuest/UMI Publishing Agreement. The Agreement can found at the following address:
Directions for Section III
You must select Traditional Publishing or Open Access Publishing:
1. Traditional Publishing – you do not pay the $65 fee – that is included in the $85 that is made to the Registrar’s Office
2. Open Access (OPTIONAL) there is an additional $120 fee if you wish to have Open Access – (must be in the form of a money order or check made payable to PROQUEST)
1. Copyright Registration Form (OPTIONAL) there is a $55 charge to authorize your claim to copyright (page 6) – (must be in the form of a money order or check made payable to PROQUEST)
2. Copy Order Form – you can use a credit card for purchases
School of Pharmacy Survey of Recent PhD Graduates
NAME: _____________________________________________(please print)
1. Do you have a position with a two-year institution?
Yes No (if no skip to question 4)
2. If yes, what is the name of the institution?
3. If yes, is it a renewable position?
4. Do you have a position with a four-year institution?
Yes No (if no skip to question 7)
5. If yes, what is the name of the institution?
6. If yes, what type of position is it?
Post-doct_____________ is it a multiple year post-doc? Yes No
Visiting instructor_______ is it renewable? Yes No
7. Do you have a position in either industry or the private sector?
Yes No (if no skip to question 9)
8. If yes, what is the name of the company: ____________________________________________
9. What is y our position title:_______________________________________________________
10. Do you have a position with the government?
11. If yes, what is the name of the agency?______________________________________________
12. What is your position title:________________________________________________________
Thank you for your time and effort with this survey. All information will remain confidential and will be used solely by the University of Pittsburgh, School of Pharmacy. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com, or via phone at 412-648-1014.