Thesis-Based MS milestones
|Term||Milestones / Major events||Student Responsibility|
|August Prior to Start of Fall Term||· Attend Graduate Program Orientation and Registration.
· If you are an international student Attend International Student orientation and comply with all Office of International Student requirements. (www.ois.pitt.edu)
|· Contact the Graduate Program Coordinator on when you will arrive on campus
· Complete paperwork for healthcare enrollment, tuition payments (at orientation).
· Bring copies of Visa, Passport, Drivers’ License etc to orientation.
· For international students: complete all items required by OIS
· For International students: complete English Proficiency Test
|First year Fall term and Spring term||· Choose Track
· Identify an advisor by January 15
· Complete a total of 30 credits.
· Present 10 minute mini-seminar on research experience or topic of interest at end of Spring Semester
|· Submit Selected Advisor form to Graduate Program Coordinator no later than January 30.
· Complete Core and Required courses.
· Initiate Laboratory Research Experience in Mentor’s lab
· Prepare and present mini-seminar
· Attend end of semester graduate student meeting
|Second year Fall and Spring term||· Organize a committee by September 15.
The committee will include at least three faculty including your primary advisor.
|· Submit Selected Committee Form to Graduate Program Coordinator by September 30.
· Complete Laboratory Research Experience in Mentor’s lab
· Elective Courses
· Committee Meeting
· Attend end of semester graduate student meeting.
· Determine your date of defense and schedule with the Graduate Program Coordinator
· Submit thesis document to committee members at least three weeks prior to your scheduled defense
· Give 30 minute oral presentation about your research to committee.
· Defend Your work by answering questions from the committee
· At Closed Defense/ presentation have each member of committee complete the “Thesis-based MS defense Evaluation Form ” and submit to Graduate Program Coordinator.
|Second year Spring or Summer term||· Graduation||· Graduation application must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the date of graduation defined by the University’s academic calendar. See Graduate Program Coordinator for information.|